Re: Freight Victoria..POWER??

In article <3824C89A.F265D318@primus.com.au> Richard <richard_snook@primus.com.au> writes:
>From: Richard <richard_snook@primus.com.au>
>Subject: Re: Freight Victoria..POWER??
>Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 11:32:27 +1100

>As ELs  are taken I was curious at to their state as you rightly point out would make excellent refurbishing material.
>Someone once intimated to me that the C's were part of some power loanage to NR and should have returned to Victoria as the
>NR1's came on line....any truth to this....or are they indeed property of NRC.

>Ls would probably make an iteresting choice...sufficient of them to create a "standard" loco.
>With the "standardising " of freight tracks...which Victoria ones  WONT get the make over and remain Irish!!

>cheers >:~)) Richard

The Cs are NRCs , having been bought from Vline for around $100K each .
What isnt clear about the NRC shareholders agreement is that NRC should have
got some Gs from Vline , similar to the 81s they got from SRA.
This hasnt happened though.
The Ls have been used in Victoria before , around 1972 or abouts , for
evaluation purposes.
Internally , and engine wise , they are fairly similar to the Cs , but with a
differant body and differant cab layout.

Ive often wondered whether a rebuild of the S class with the 710G3 engine
would be worthwhile, its certainly physically possible .
You would then get something akin to a CLP in a S class body with a more
modern engine and control electronics.

ON a similat vein to this , how many Westrail Ks are still in service , are
and are any available on the 2nd hand market.?

MD