Re: Out of Gauge Suburban EMU's in Sydney (Was DOO In Sydney)

WE LOOKED AT RETRACTABLE MIRRORS IN PERTH AND THROUGH OUT THE IDEA!!!

Yes there are systems around the place that use retractable mirrors
(predominately light rail).
They have a number of operational difficulties with them mainly to do with
clearances and especially maintenance.  Once you become dependent on
mechanical type add ons you then get a situation where a complete train
consist can be forced out of service with a defective mirror set up.  In
Perth we went for on-board video monitors in the drivers cab, whereby a
transponder on the train picks up an image which is generated from a camera
mounted off the end of the platform away from vandals.  The image is beamed
to the train by way of a leaky co-axial cable embedded in the track along
the platform.  As the train approaches the platform it picks up the image on
a frequency unique to the station and if on a curve the system provides for
split screens whereby the driver can have up to 3 images on their monitor to
give them full coverage of the length of the train.  The system is
remarkably reliable and drivers can see an amazing amount of detail.  The
tests we did especially at evidence that anything protruding from a door way
as little as 2 cm in length can be picked up on the driver's monitor!!!.
(Just think how long your own TV set will last), and maintenance costs are
very low).  Station lighting for night time operation has to be at a minimum
of 20 lux, and that has added spin-offs in providing a better lit
environment for passengers.

The cameras are also off the shelf units capable of easy change out etc.
The system is maintained to the same standard as the signalling equipment,
but should a unit fail and I stress that is very rare, drivers are required
to step onto the platform or use the services of station staff in order to
complete the rest of the journey.  In 1991 and 1993 we received two large
delegations of CityRail managers to look at the system and they agreed that
it would suit the CityRail network OK.  It seems sad that after all these
years nothing seems to have moved.

--
Graeme Vellacott
PO Box 322