Re: Melbourne Double deckers

Daniel

I'm sorry I can't agree with your views on frequencies.  In Perth, THE MOST
CAR DOMINATED CITY IN AUSTRALIA, getting people onto the trains required
very frequent services.  Because rail is capital intensive the added labour
cost on driver only trains to increase frequencies is by comparison small.
The minimum frequency on the heavy routes into Melbourne should be 3 minutes
peak hour, 7.5 minutes off peak.  15 minutes very early morning and late at
night.  Perth might be small and people are saying you can't compare Perth
and Melbourne/Sydney, but you can.  Our busiest line carries just 35,000
people per day and we use the frequencies described above.  On the Fremantle
Line which was closed in 1979 and replaced with buses, we increased
frequency from half hourly in the off peak to every 15 minutes and the peak
from every 20 minutes to 10 minutes.  Traffic increased from 8,000 per day
to 25,000 pax per day.

--
Graeme Vellacott
PO Box 322