Re: Route 70 Tram (Melb)

Ron BEST wrote:

> There was a curve there. I think it was put in during the conversion from
> cable to electric in Swanston St/St Kilda Rd. I have an idea some of it was
> lifted to help the war effort (scrap steel).

Curve existed  about 1927 (when Flinders St line opened replacing the cable
service)  - 6/4/1942. Sorry I just can not find my book of dates at the moment
and my map collection has a missing page.

> > Secondly, about 50m further West down Flinders St in the South side road
> kerb on
> > the footpath there is a wonderful bluestone gutter block with 4" brass
> letters
> > inset into it saying "Disengaged Car".  What is this?  Does it have any
> tramway
> > relevance?
> Sounds like it has something to do with taxis. Unless there was a siding for
> cable tram trailers. I doubt that.

Taxis because when a taxi has a fare it is said to be engaged. This then would
be the location of the taxi rank for disengaged cars.

David.