Re: Route 70 Tram (Melb)

Chris Brownbill <cbrnbill@enternet.com.au> wrote in message
37492D51.40125D43@enternet.com.au">news:37492D51.40125D43@enternet.com.au...
> David Langley wrote:
>

>Snip
>
> Two other questions about that locality.  There has appeared in the past
year
> what appears to be an old tram rail peeking through the tar which would
have to
> be an old South to West curve at Flinders/Swanston corner.  Was there ever
such
> a curve, and is this the actual rail?
There was a curve there. I think it was put in during the conversion from
cable to electric in Swanston St/St Kilda Rd. I have an idea some of it was
lifted to help the war effort (scrap steel).

> Secondly, about 50m further West down Flinders St in the South side road
kerb on
> the footpath there is a wonderful bluestone gutter block with 4" brass
letters
> inset into it saying "Disengaged Car".  What is this?  Does it have any
tramway
> relevance?
Sounds like it has something to do with taxis. Unless there was a siding for
cable tram trailers. I doubt that.