Re: Sydney Airport Rail

In article <37495425.0@iridium.webone.com.au>,
  "Derick Wuen" <cullend@webone.com.au> wrote:

>>Indeed, convenience is the issue much more so than price.  To my mind
>>$10 is more than reasonable for a fast train trip from the airport to
>>the city or v-v.  However, my company's Sydney office is at Artarmon
and
>>I will continue to travel by taxi all the way to avoid a change of
mode
>>in the city.  If I have to visit a client in the city it would almost
>>certainly be on the train from the airport.
>>
>>Cheers...JD
>
> Some people care more about convenience, and detest change of mode. I
was
> once on a plane from Schipol to Heathrow with a person who was going
> Toulouse. He preferred changing flights at Heathrow thus avoiding the
bus or
> train transfer across Paris, Charles de Gaulle to Boissy!
>
> In the same crazy vein, avoid the Airport- Sydney CBD - Artarmon
hassle....
> fly to Newcastle and catch a spark back!

Sounds good in theory :-)

But, there is some difficulty in catching a train *at* Newcastle
airport, meaning a additional change in mode before getting on a train.
Then there is the difficulty of a direct train Newcastle-Artarmon,
meaning a change at Hornsby.  And, my office is 15-20 minute walk from
Artarmon station (it is actually much closer to Lane Cove than
Artarmon), so a taxi would be required.

Despite the hassles of Sydney airport and CBD, a taxi from the airport
to Artarmon wins hands down for me - with a no-change convenience.

Cheers...JD
--

John Dennis
Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway