Re: Signalling in Victoria

Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote:

> Ok, just a couple more questions about 2 position signalling.  The numbers on
> the signal posts are usually the lever number, and where there are many levers
> the first lever number is on the post.  Is this correct?  If so then in places
> like Sunbury the lever (switch) number has no relationship with the post
> number.

In 3 position signalling this is usually the case, however, in 2 position
signalling it is not.
In 2 position signalling, you can have for eg: post 2, 2a,2b.. there are no
corresponding lever numbers.

> Disc and dawf signals. Most sidings and wrong line moves have/had disc
> signals, if you have a colour light signal is it called a disc, or a two
> position dawf?

it is a dwarf signal regardless.

> Eltham has two homes (on for each road) and a dawf/disc for the sidings, this
> is a little like the Showgrounds (ie it has a 'siding' sign and it normally
> off, but shows yellow for moves into the sidings), I spose in the days of
> semaphore signals this would have been a disc.

yes, it was.. two arms and a disc. On the down Home arrival, the left arm applied
for the platform road #1, the right arm applied to the back platform, the disc was
for the sidings.

In some cases like Eltham there would normally be more than one disc where the
points for the siding are controlled from the frame. thus, if there were 3 sidings
then there would be 3 discs.

Castlemaine Post 10 is a good example of this.
http://homepages.tig.com.au/~baulko/signals/castlemaine_post_10.jpg

> Now three position signalling.  Where you have a signal that shows red/red,
> yellow/red & green/red it is three aspect signalling?

Yes, 3 aspect Speed Signalling.

> Where you have red/red, red/yellow, yellow/green & green/red it is four aspect
> signalling?

Correct again.

> Where you have say a junction and the signal shows red/red, yellow/red &
> green/red for one route or red/red, red/yellow & red/green apart from the
> being a home signal would you say the signal has 5 aspects?

No, this is just speed signalling. In most circumstances, the Normal speed ( ?/r)
would be shown for the "straight" line.

Any diverging line would be given the medium speed aspect. ( r/?).

On your theory, a signal as stated with a low speed (r/r/y) would be a 6 aspect
signal....

> Signals the clear in the following order: red/red, red/yellow, yellow/red,
> yellow/green, & green/red (I think that is right) it has the yellow/red aspect
> because a full overlap is provided after the train has past some point, but
> the next signal is still red/red.

That is full overlap, it can be found on the Epping line where the level crossings
are genenrally protected by r/r signals.

The signal shows r/y as its caution indication that the next signal is at stop.
Where it would normally change to a further proceed aspect, it changes to y/r
instead. The best example is on the co-acting signals before Beavers Road on the
Down side of Northcote Station.

> All dawf signals are three position (in three position signalling area) but
> some only show two aspects.  The signals at either end of the centre road of
> Clifton Hill are three aspect with trip levers.  Are these dawfs, or home
> signals, or something else?

Dwarf signals:

Red= stop
Yellow = proceed at low speed, expect to find line obstructed / occupied.
Green = proceed at low speed, line clear to next fixed signal.

These signals have been in use at some time at other locations.
The beauty is at the Down end of Somerton Loop from 3 & 4 roads, on the Std
Gauge...
It displays yellow for moves to Blue Circle cement sidings (controlled from
Somerton Box) and
Green for moves to the main line (controlled from Centrol).

I do think the "local" rules applying to these types of signals are based on the
needs of the location.

> Transition from Two position signalling to three position, sometimes it is
> like Greensbourgh where there is a home to post X and then post X is a three
> position signal.

In "station limits" the transition is minimal, enter on 2 p to the platform, and
exit on 3 position...
Very simple change.

> Or like St Albans where you have a home signal, repeating, then a three
> position home.  I think the repeating signal is like a distant (but with a
> yellow marker).  Is that right?

Y/Y = Warning, expect next signal at stop.
G/Y= Proceed, expect next signal with proceed indication...

The block between signals runs right thru the repeater ie, track section runs from
2 position signal to the 3 position signal.

There are several of them around these days, including 2 side by side on the down
side of Seymour.

> What colour are the arms on a semaphore repeating signal?  I know of only one
> semaphore repeating that was at Maldon Junction any I have no idea what colour
> the arms were.  The top arm was fixed at yellow, and the bottom yellow or
> green.

it was an Upper Quadrant "distant" signal. It worked the same as an upper quadrant
signal.

Top arm would be raised at 45 degrees for warning, with a yellow marker light or
raised to 90 degrees, showing Green with a Yellow Marker Light.

An old reproduced copy of the signalling diagram for Spencer St circa 1932 showed
one at Spencer St.

> Well that's all I need to know for now (until I am totally confused again)

Glad I could help to scramble your brain a little more....

--
Thanks, Tony.

"Keyboard controller failure. - Press F1 to continue..."

New Homepage: http://homepages.tig.com.au/~baulko

It's here: Railpix - Australian Railway Photography.
            http://railpix.freeservers.com