Re: Signalling in Victoria

Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote:

> Ok, just a couple more questions about 2 position signalling.  The numbers on
> the signal posts are usually the lever number, and where there are many levers
> the first lever number is on the post.  Is this correct?

No  if you check some of the diagrams like the old ones on the Upfield and Epping
lines you can see where the number would start at one Signal box and continue for
sometime an example Merri had posts 44,45,46.   Then Thornbury had post 1 then the
numbers continued through to Bell's down advance starter no 16  Again another
example was post 5 at Regent through to Keon Parks down advance starter post 32.

> If so then in places
> like Sunbury the lever (switch) number has no relationship with the post
> number.
>
> Disc and dawf signals. Most sidings and wrong line moves have/had disc
> signals, if you have a colour light signal is it called a disc,

I don't know now,  but there were 3 types of fixed signals  Semaphore, Light and
disc signals.It used to depend on where the color light signal was if on it's own,
then it was a dwarf signal on a post with other signals then a low speed signal..