Re: SLR uses sand!

In article <370197C0.5489867F@fastlink.com.au>,
  timarnot@fastlink.com.au wrote:

> Most British diesels are not fitted with sanding gear, nor are the older
> EMU's and DMU's - hence the recurrent problems with "leaves on the
> line". The problems are not helped by the use of disk brakes on modern
> stock, leading to build up of muck on wheels/rails.

In the UK they also use a substance known as 'sandite' that is sprayed from
special purpose trains and helps provide better traction during unfavourable
conditions. Although I believe it works well when applied properly (as opposed
to waiting until the week before heavy leaf fall occurs before they start to
apply it) I rather doubt it would be of much assistance on a grade as steep as
the Up ramp to Central.

It is fortunate for SLR that they didn't fall into the trap that British Rail
once fell into years ago, and blame adhesion problems (quite legitimately) on
the *wrong type of rain*. The media and public have never let the railways
live this down, and to this day there are regularly running jokes in the UK
about the wrong type of snow, wrong type of trains, wrong type of
management...

> Tim
> Timothy Arnot
>
> e-mail to timarnot@fastlink.com.au