Re: SLR uses sand!

David Bennetts wrote:

> Jonathan Lau wrote in message <37015974.D03A062D@ozemail.com.au>...
> >I heard a radio news report this morning that Sydney Light Rail has now
> >decided to use sand for traction in wet & slippery conditions for the
> >climb up to Central Station.
> >
>  will we get some more modern
> equipment like that provided in the 1896 model trams, operated in the
> traditional way by the motorman tapping on a foot pedal.

Or maybe they will retrofit them with the kind of fully automatic
sanding equiment all 432 trams built for Melbourne since 1975 have been
equipped with from the outset.

I find it extraordinary that the Sydney trams, which were built in
Melbourne at the same factory from whence came the 432 trams mentioned,
were not fitted with sanding gear.

Who was responsible for that blunder?

Do they have electronic brakes, or does the driver have to crank a big
wheel in the cab to stop the thing?

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand

"The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced;
the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled.
Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't
want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of  living
on public assistance." – –   Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 B.C.