Re: SLR uses sand!

In article <3701910F.1BA4@REMOVEiprolink.co.nz>,
David McLoughlin  <davemcl@REMOVEiprolink.co.nz> wrote:
>David Bennetts wrote:
>>
>> Jonathan Lau wrote in message <37015974.D03A062D@ozemail.com.au>...
>> >I heard a radio news report this morning that Sydney Light Rail has now
>> >decided to use sand for traction in wet & slippery conditions for the
>> >climb up to Central Station.
>> >

>I find it extraordinary that the Sydney trams, which were built in
>Melbourne at the same factory from whence came the 432 trams mentioned,
>were not fitted with sanding gear.
>
>Who was responsible for that blunder?

 The track people didnt talk to the vehical people. They have had serious
noise problems on the curves. Old Tramway people were saying that would
happen when the track went down before the first 21 series Sydney Tram
had left the production line.
 In the end, they took to the curves with angle grinders and cut the
flangeway larger.

 The trams were also lifted or had bigger wheels fitted shortly after
launch, as the doors were dragging along the platforms.

 If they did infact have bigger wheels fitted, this might explain the
traction problems.

 What is the bet the engineers only did the traction similation on
fully dry and fully wet rails and didnt model light rain mixed with
crushed leaves.

>Do they have electronic brakes, or does the driver have to crank a big
>wheel in the cab to stop the thing?

 Some of the drivers probably would prefer the big crank wheel :-)