Re: SLR uses sand!

Jonathan Lau wrote in message <37015974.D03A062D@ozemail.com.au>...
>I heard a radio news report this morning that Sydney Light Rail has now
>decided to use sand for traction in wet & slippery conditions for the
>climb up to Central Station.
>
>Amazing how modern AC motor technology is supplemented by 19th Century
>practices!!
>
>Jon Lau
Does this mean we'll have to import a couple of experienced sandmen from
India to ride on the front bufferbeam?  Or will we get some more modern
equipment like that provided in the 1896 model trams, operated in the
traditional way by the motorman tapping on a foot pedal.  I think the Botany
sand sidings are now closed, so maybe they've have to get a contractor in.
Hope they don't leave the sand out in the wet, it gets rather gluggy and
clogs up the sand pipes.  I don't suppose there's any sand drying equipment
like the old depots had.

Regards

David Bennetts
Canberra