Re: NG v SG

G'day,

mcfergus@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> On a completely subjective and non-technical note, don't you think that
> narrow guage is a lot more *fun* than standard guage? There's just something
> very enjoyable about riding on a NG train, charging around seemingly tighter
> corners, with the characteristic hunting and swaying as it bounces merrily
> along!

Was most impressed while in NZ recently.  Passes run at 100km/h (on the straight
bits!) on the 3'6"   I had a cab ride on the Tranzalpine (one of the world's
great train journey's) from Otira to Greymouth, the DFT rode *beautifully* on
the narrow guage (as well or better than the pass cars).  The driver told they
were 2200hp GM 645's (essentially same spec as a 3rd series X), but the roots
blowers were removed and replaced by turbochargers (which gave vibration
problems for a long while).  Anyway the 2 hauling 11 cars certainly had plenty
of guts.  Plenty of tight corners though!

Cheers,
CH.
--
Craig Haber