Re: NG v SG

rod gayford wrote:

> Is there some problem with the Railpage server as messages seem to take
> forever to appear or do not appear at all? In regard to the idea of
> squeezing narrow gauge in between standard gauge I understand the main
> problem is that all 3'6" systems in Australia lay the rails vertical to the
> sleepers, much the same as a tramway instead of canted in towards the
> centre line as per standard gauge. I also understand that rail and wheel
> wear is very severe on the heavy coal lines in Queensland.  Qld Rail should
> have spent its money on standardising its NG system rather than wasting
> money on electrifying the Brisbane to Rockhampton line and upgrading the
> Rocky to Townsville line which sees little traffic.

IIRC, when the Moura "direct" line was built back in the late 60's, there were
plans to have a standard gauge electric line...however, it ended up narrow
gauge like the rest of the QR network.

Interestingly, diesels seem to be taking over some of the traffic on the
Brisbane-Rockhampton section from the electric locos; apparently it is cheaper
to run diesel than electric at the moment (the same is also happening in the
Sydney area).

John
--
John Cleverdon, B.App.Sc. (Cartography), AMMSIA
Amateur astronomer & Railway enthusiast | Essendon - 1999 AFL premiers