Re: NG v SG

Bazt's reply appears to me to be the ultimate sweeping statement. I am very
well aware of the historical reasons for the adoption of 3'6" in Qld and
other less developed states and that was the supposed lower cost. That may
be so if very low standards are adopted, but once you start running real
trains you run into all sorts of problems and the supposed economies
associated with the original reason for going NG evaporate and you end up
with a sub-standard railroad that costs as much as a standard gauge one
without the benefits of SG. I am not the only one to doubt the wisdom of
electrifying to Rocky. I rather suspect its an outcome of over generous
Federal funding of Qld at the expense of the more populated states. As for
a tilt train to Rocky it would probably be cheaper to subsidise air travel
and drop the passenger trains and let the railways spend their money on
upgrading freight trains.

Cheers

RJG

bazt <bazt@tpgi.com.au> wrote in article <36fe0a26@dnews.tpgi.com.au>...