Re: 520 or 621

"< Tell >" wrote:

> Yes, I was around then, BUT ...they were so dirty it
> was hard to tell.  :-(
>
> The book you refer to, is the most authoritative work
> available.  I dug my old copy out and I am still
> puzzled as to why David said they were ready for
> standard gauge because they had "dished" wheels, the
> pilot wheels were dished, but the drivers were spoked.!
>

> ----Terry Burton
> Alice Springs NT

You are correct when you say the driving wheels are spoked.
However, the word "dished" in this context refers to the shape of the spoke.
You will probably find that the hub of the wheel is futher in than the tyre.
If this is the case, then reversing the wheel on the axle (and altering the
tyre)
will enable the loco to be converted.

AFAIK, all BG locos built after 1920 were gauge convertable. (except the VR
K class which were a pre 1920 design).

John McCallum