Re: 520 or 621

Chester wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Mar 1999 10:14:12 GMT, chester@chariot.net.au (Chester)
> wrote:
>
> snip
> >Would I be right in assuming that SteamRanger has no steam locomotives
> >currently in opperating conditon?
> >Because (I hope this information is correct),
> >520- needs its tender under fraime rebuilt due to corrosion and will
> >not be running in 1999.
> >621- requires repairs or replacement of a number of parts like piston
> >rods and superheater,which will take time and money.
> >F251- Boiler Problems (leaks), will miss Easter Cockle Train runnings.
> >RX207- In the process of being rebuilt, progressing well but in
> >pieces.
>
> SNIP (not needed)
>

> I hope some one can answer this question, what colours have been
> carried by 520 other than the current colours of green and yellow and
> have any of the other 520 class locomotives carred any other colours
> or liveries.

They were black in service with the SAR.

There may have been some red and / or silver lining, but your basic black was
the colour.

This was the colour of steam on the SAR - the 500s had a silver smokebox front,
and the 400 class garratts had a tinge of green in the black.

A couple of the 620s came out in green (not the green of SteamRanger) but became
black after a few years.

The buffer beam was red.

--
Neil Waller	(nwaller@denr.sa.gov.au)
Department of Environment Heritage and Aboriginal Affairs

Unless explicitly attributed, the opinions expressed are personal
and not those of DEHAA or the South Australian Government.