Re: 520 or 621

"Chris Stratton" <stratton.chris.cp@bhp.com.au> wrote:

>I think he meant dished as in the shape of the wheel, not disc or spoked
>type of wheel.

Sure, I mentioned the spoke wheels because the
photograph in the book of one set of spoked drivers
with axle box does not look too convertible to me.
If the 520 class were able to be "simply" converted to
standard gauge by manipulating the existing broad gauge
wheel sets, then the authors made no mention of it.
This would seem a serious oversight on their part.!
Facts were, Islington had standard gauge models on the
board.  I have no doubt the masters at Islington would
have been able to convert the 520 to standard gauge,
anything is possible, but at what cost, particularly in
todays terms, after all, threads in this post did
discuss SteamRanger putting 520 on the standard gauge.

Incidentally, the book told how the 520 class "almost"
had Box-Pok drivers from the USA, but they were double
the price of spoked drivers, also the SAR 520 class
were the first steam locos in Australia with all roller
bearings.  The SAR Islington shops lead the way again.

----Terry Burton
Alice Springs NT