Re: Suggestions for a better Melbourne

Krel wrote:
> What about getting some two car Raiulcars that could MU with a Comeng
> spark (EMU). Through services could run without the cost of stringing
> wires to Stony Point, Warragul, etc.

I'm sure Adtranz could come up with a DMU which could MU with a Comeng.
Another option would be some 2 car driving trailer sets which could be
propelled by a Comeng to Frankston. It would be like Weymouth!

> >If the Tottenham - Newport standard gauge was relocated (as was mooted
> >some days ago), the line could be electrified and the Williamstown
> >shuttle
> >could run through to Sunshine.
> >
> How many people on the Willy line want to go to Sunshine and vv.?

Probably as many as want to go from Willy to Newport. Don't think of the
service in isolation, it's a connecting service off other trains.

> What
> about a Sprinter service between Craigieburn-Broadmeadows(connect to
> City)-Airport West (shopping centre)-Sunshine-Newport? Say, half
> hourly each way.

That would be a waste of a Sprinter. It would be a suitable task for a
DRC, if V/Line still had them.

I didn't mention Albion - Broadmeadows, but that could probably justify
electrification and a few new stations. You'd have to run a mix of
Broadmeadows - Sunshine - City and Broadmeadows - Sunshine - Newport
(- Williamstown) services. If there was also a connection from this line
to the Airport, I can see City - Broadmeadows - Airport - Sunshine -
City
(and vv) being very useful.

I can also see some merit in Geelong - Airport trains as the direct bus
is quite popular.

Cheers
David