Re: Suggestions for a better Melbourne

>It certainly would be justified. With railcars you need empty transfers
>to Melbourne for serviving, extra crews with different training, and
>changing trains is a major disincentive to travel. The SP line could
>easily have a line speed of 115-130km/h.

I have a strange feeling that electrification all the way to Stony Point is
probably not going to be cheaper than buying some railcars. Whilst there
would be economies of scale with electrification, it comes at a huge capital
cost up front. On the other hand railcars, whilst an upfront capital cost,
are nowhere near as much and probably not much different to the cost of
extra electric trains required to run the extended service. Is the cost of
electrification worth some people not changing trains (keeping in mind many
people using the service are going to Frankston, not the city) and some
extra maintenance costs and crewing costs? Obviously the PTC don't think so,
they run the service with diesels and carriages. My understanding is that
this is more expensive again than railcars in terms of running costs
(although correct me if I'm wrong).

The only way that line will be electrified any distance is because it goes
through or near the Transport Minister's Mornington electorate. Maybe a
compromise solution is electrify part way and replace the rest of the
service with buses. Or maybe to Mornington and buses to cover the Stony
Point service.

By the way, wasn't the service replaced with buses some time during the 80s?
Maybe that says something about potential patronage along the Stony Point
line which may not justify the expensive costs of electrification.