Re: Suggestions for a better Melbourne

Michael Walker wrote:
> >*  Electrification of the Stony Point line from Frankston, with a new
> >station in Hastings called "Old Tyabb" (adjacent to Old Tyabb township).
> >Services would run Richmond - South Yarra - Caulfield - Moorabbin -
> >Cheltenham - Chelsea - Carrum - Frankston then all to Stony Point.
>
> I'm not sure electrification would be justified, it would be cheaper and
> more practical to get hold of some railcars suitable for running
> semi-suburban services

It certainly would be justified. With railcars you need empty transfers
to Melbourne for serviving, extra crews with different training, and
changing trains is a major disincentive to travel. The SP line could
easily have a line speed of 115-130km/h.

> It seems to me Melburnians are unique in this news group for wanting to
> redesign their transport system, I don't recall any posters from other
> states wanting to redesign theirs except for a line here or a line there. Is
> that because your rail systems are perfect as they are?

The problem is that Melbourne has a totally radial system, whereas Sydney
has a number of cross-country connections. But then it's a chicken and egg
problem with respect to demand for such services.

If the Tottenham - Newport standard gauge was relocated (as was mooted
some days ago), the line could be electrified and the Williamstown
shuttle
could run through to Sunshine.

Cheers
David