Re: Suggestions for a better Melbourne

GOD!  wrote in message <3776EACE.90C84179@omni.com.au>...

>> I'm not sure electrification would be justified, it would be cheaper and
>> more practical to get hold of some railcars suitable for running
>> semi-suburban services
>
>It certainly would be justified. With railcars you need empty transfers
>to Melbourne for serviving, extra crews with different training, and
>changing trains is a major disincentive to travel. The SP line could
>easily have a line speed of 115-130km/h.

Ok, so electrification would be justifiable on these grounds alone? What are
the figures you base this on? How much per annum would it cost to run a
diesel service, including dead-running, as opposed to the cost of
electrifying the line plus operating costs?

>The problem is that Melbourne has a totally radial system, whereas Sydney
>has a number of cross-country connections. But then it's a chicken and egg
>problem with respect to demand for such services.

Due to good planning - something Sydney has been known for for ages :p

>If the Tottenham - Newport standard gauge was relocated (as was mooted
>some days ago), the line could be electrified and the Williamstown
>shuttle
>could run through to Sunshine.

But who would use it?

DaveP