Re: Bugger all express services on Hillside Trains (was "NoExpress...

"FRISCÉ Theatre Co. (Bryan Cullis)" wrote:

> Wouldn't it be lovely if all trams did this?  But alas, that would be a
> service to the public, and we can't have that!

I don't know what the regulations say today but many years ago (according to a
late friend of mine who was a tram driver and inspector) trams were to pick up
and set down passengers no matter where they were operating. This meant that
they had to ensure that their correct destination was shown. Thus as you say,
most/all Toorak trams will convey passengers between the terminus and Malvern
Depot. I remember some years ago when the junction outside Preston Depot was
being relaid, West Preston cars (Ws in those days) ran via High St to take up
running and showed Special. This was probably because management did not want
regular High St passengers complaining about the old trams running in their
street. Today we have drivers who don't wish to stop on these depot workings and
thus show Special etc. and ignore waiting passengers. And there are no
inspectors to ensure that the rules are followed.

David Langley.