Re: LA Rail Revival

elson@westworld.com wrote:

>In article <7k3q80$3fn$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>  tomwetzel@my-deja.com wrote:

>> Yes, that was the Green Line. It isn't really a light rail line,
>> tho, because it is completely grade-separated. Like the Docklands
>> line in London, it is modeled on the Vancouver Skytrain,
>>
>> Tom Wetzel

>I disagree; it has the exact same rolling stock as the Metro Blue Line
>(which I'm sure be both do agree is LRT), and the stations are pretty
>much similar, so just because there's no street running the Green Line
>becomes heavy rail? Besides, the Green Line isn't *totally* grade-
>separated; as there are grade crossings in the yard area.

>Both the Docklands Light Rail and the Vancouver Skytrain are third-rail
>powered, BTW. Not the case with the Green Line.

	There is a difference between both Docklands and Skytrain, in their
propulsion technology.  Skytrain uses linear induction motors, whereas
Docklands uses more conventional motors(i.e., non-linear induction).
Both do use driverless cars.

>except
>> that the Green Line has a pathetic ridership...only 23,000 boardings
>> a day.

>So did the Blue Line several years ago, but we get the point (it's a
>well-known fact you're no fan of the Green Line :)). This will change
>with the addition of longer trains (many potential Green Line commuters
>are turned off because of extreme overcrowding during the rush hour on
>the single-car trains), higher speeds (within the next few months the max
>speed will be increased from 55 to 65 mph) and the eventual expansion of
>LAX.

	That extension may be for the Green Line what the Hollywood Extension
seems to be for the Red Line: namely, it will give the Green Line a
prominent destination reachable by both air travelers into/out of
LAX(of which I should be in 2 weeks...why do I think a number of
la.transportation regulars will be skipping town around July 5 for two
weeks...hey, Philadelphians aren't that bad! :-)), and for workers in
the LAX area and LAX itself.

	Later

	Michael T. Greene