Re: Rail Profile

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 22:30:39 GMT, rflinder@my-deja.com wrote:

>> As a few of the standard crossing layouts where only ever designed for
>> 47/53kg rail, 53kg rail still has a future in Australia..........
>>
>I remember a Victorian Civil Engineer telling me a few years ago that
>they could not justify buying 60Kg over 53kg for the axle loading
>capabilities.

It is this sort of thinking that has created the situation we have
today. On Standard Gauge Superfreighters are allowed 115 km/h in NSW,
110 km/h in Sa & WA and 100 km/h in Vic.
For 80 km/h trains 92 tonnes per vehicle (23 tonne axle load) is
permitted on the SG interstate mainlines in NSW, SA, WA and Qld but in
Victoria it was 80 t (20t/axle) until a couple of months ago when ARTC
took over and 84t (21t/axle) is now permitted on trial.
For some coil steel traffic the difference between 20t and 23t axle
load is the difference between carrying two coils per wagon and three
(IE 50% increase).

Cheers

Krel

Steamfreight 99 at Victorian Goldfields Railway - July 17-18 1999.

VGR website http://www.castlemaine.net.au/~vgr/

Waxy Wary Zany Zebu