Re: Concession Fares on CityRail

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, David Bromage wrote:

> David Proctor wrote:
> >
> > Both of these cards are available from your school/uni/TAFE - but only if
> > you are under 26. They entitle you to  child fares (if still attending
> > school and aged 18 or under) or concession fares otherwise (there is a
> > difference).
>
> Haven't RoA cards been abolished? There was a bit of a fuss in Canberra
> recently as ANU and Uni of Canberra students were in danger of not being
> entitled to concessions in NSW.

Yes, a few calls "into the shafts" of the City Rail infoline and 02 9379
3000 (State Rail directory?), have revealed that the RoA cards are no
longer.
I can obtain an "International student's identity card" (or something to
that effect) from STA travel offices, but that is not a valid concession
card for City Rail.  It will give me concession on CountryLink, but so
will my Vic PTC card.  (The Melb - Syd bus is still cheaper anyway, with
2 x one hour refreshment breaks)

Basically I was told I cannot get concession in Sydney.

If I buy a concession ticket from a machine, and get challenged by
inspectors later, what's my chances of getting away with it?
I don't really want to do this, but compared to Melbourne, suburban travel
is so expensive.

Thanks to all for helping me out on this one.

Gareth.

Gareth Lumsden     s9763278@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au    glums112@yahoo.com
Gareth's Railway Web Page        http://minyos.its.rmit.edu.au/~s9763278