Re: Rail Profile

rflinder@my-deja.com wrote in article <7k49qv$8p7$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...

> > PS: I have just purchased approx 50t of 53kg so they still must make
> it :-)
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Stephen Devenish
> > Senior Project Engineer
> Is is Australian rolled or imported by BHP?  I would be suprised that
> they would roll only 50t of rail.

Answer:  Australia Rolled

Answer: Correct they wouldn't go out and roll 50t for me but they roll a
couple of hundred ton about two to three times a year and keep it on the
ground at BHP Whyella, which is sold either through BHP (order greater that
60t ) or Em rails (less than 60t) ((Thats who I brought the 53kg from))
:-)

53kg Rail is still in big demand in Victoria for crossing work and track
work, although 60kg is somewhat cheaper due to the bulk of new track being
build on 60kg rail and concrete sleepers.  If I remember correctly Upfield
line duplication I worked on was all 53kg rail for 2km.  I have installed a
brand new 53kg 8.7 single compound at Ringwood and will be installing 2no 1
in 15 crossovers at Broadmeadows all in 53kg rail new.  Is short 53kg rail
is alive and kicking in Australia , Emrails buys from BHP and sells small
amounts (less than 60t ) to contractors and the Rail authorities if you
have an order of more than 60t then BHP will talk to you direct.  As for
the amount required for them to roll and old profile ie 47kg who knows? a
couple of hundred ton should do it at the right price.  Serviciable 47kg
was going for approx $1000 t and I could buy new 50kg (roughly the same
profile) for about $1300t free in Melbourne (delivered to my door).

As a few of the standard crossing layouts where only ever designed for
47/53kg rail, 53kg rail still has a future in Australia..........

Cheers

Stephen Devenish