Re: Smelly Melbourne Trains

"Michael Walker" <walker@hotkey.net.au> writes:

> >One of the oddest features of the Hillside/Bayside split is that
> >Hillside got Flemington Racecourse & the Showgrounds.
> >
> >Which are reached via the Broadmeadows line, a line that no other
> >Hillside train ever traverses.
> >
> >Weird.
> >
> Bayside originally got the line but it was not long after allocated to
> Hillside, I think from memory because they were supposedly short of places
> to stable trains. I still have the article in Hillside News somewhere of the
> article where it proudly proclaims 'Hillside Grows!' describing the transfer
> of the line.

So the split is & always was totally arbitrary, based on nothing more
than some public servant's freehand scribble with a felt-tip marker?

No actual _business_ sense to the split at all?

I remain convinced that in 10 years, probably less, Hillside & Bayside
will merge, as will Yarra & Swanston. Giving us a privatised MetRail
business (trains) and a privatised tram company (they could call it
"Melbourne Metro Tramways Business", MMTB for short).

--
Clive Newall <crn@itga.com.au> / ITG Australia Ltd, Melbourne Australia
"I think Casper is the ghost of Richie Rich. I wonder how Richie died?"