Re: Violence on Sydney trains

BIG SNIP..>>>

John wrote in message <7k2miu$6l8$1@news1.mpx.com.au>...
>How many weeks course is it to drive a train. How come all the train
drivers
>I know have trouble speaking properly and are not very good at reading.
>actually I would even consider them to be illiterate. Everyone knows that
in
>the past if you don't have any brains join the railway. There is the
>properway and the railway.
>
>How many train drivers stop at the right stations if it was not for the
>guard calling them in the intercom. They always seem to stop and not stop
>when they are supposed to.
>
>Tell me more train driver, why are you only a train driver, because if you
>were not you would only be a labourer.

Jones@optusnet.com.au

I think you forgot to identify yourself, John, so I included it above for
you!
John...
It is well known that Government Railways always "overbuild" any structure,
any item of Rolling Stock, structure device, that they may require.
Apprenticeships offered by the Railways were the best to get...and many
plumbers, electricians etc got their start in the Railways
Railways accounted for many hundreds and thousands of jobs in Australia up
untill very recently!
We employed migrants off the boat, and many had very rewarding jobs till
they retired.
We needed all types of people, and uneducated types were welcomed, only if
they could work hard, the gangs that you see leaning on their shovels and
forks, did a great job especially after your train cleared the track??
Many (uneducated?) Rail Emloyees clawed themselves to the top...one even
become a Prime Minister in the days when that job meant good things. A
saying around V/Line used to be, that the job went downhill when the
Educated Clerk/ Station Master types took over, and stopped the little man
from going to the top, taking his grass roots knowledge with him.
I could have joined the job as a labourer, but as I left school in 1963 with
Matriculation [as high as I could go at Sec Co.]
I could have gone into the Office as well. I chose to become a Train Driver.
I went to classes run by the Institute in my own time, about twice a week (2
hrs ea.), depending on my shifts[about 60 hrs a week in those days], for 4
years, then after a short training Class set by VicRail I sat for and passed
my Drivers Exam.
A driver might think he is better than most, but my mate Parto was a guard.
Whilst he was relaxing and going out with women when ever he could, I was
envious...but I would be a Driver!! John had to have a complete knowledge of
all the safeworking systems he ran on, and was examined each year for the
rest of his railway career. Sometimes I wondered who got it right.
I sat up in my  dry engine, and John did the shunt [in the rain] But he was
in charge of the Train!!
Drivers and Guards all spoke English and dummies just did not make it!
My education was unusual [for 1963] and I met a lot of idiots in the early
days,on the job. But none of them survived more than a couple of years.The
old way was a perfect way to weed out the problems, and to ensure that we
all knew our job well.
Now near the end of my working life I worry about the new blokes coming
along......How can they trust someone who masters his job on a simulator
that is not any better than my home PC. How much can he learn this way....I
suppose if he survives 4 years. he will be OK, but unless they put P plates
on his train, I will continue to use my car.
Rod ;o)