Re: Tait Trains and prams

Peter Williams wrote:

> These cars were usually marshalled in the middle of the 4 car (block) portion of
> some of the Tait trains. They could be described as an incompleted D car, ie,
> without the Drivers cabin. They were clearly identified with a large white ring
> painted on the door and were ideal for prams etc due to the double door and wide
> compartment. They were unofficially known as "ringers".

Ringers they were (unofficially) because their proper classification was merely T. A
lot of them were subsequently converted to D driving trailers when Melbourne
instituted a policy of 2 car Taits in the '70's I think. At the end of the programme
I think only about 2 or 3 ringers were left in service.

David Langley.
App Elec Fitter, Sig Maintenance, 1967.