Re: Cars make more economic sense than transit: fact

<snip>
>> The price of that insurance coverage would
>> probably increase the price enough to not make it impractical.
>
>Well, if it does, that's tough. Not feasible. Market forces and
>all that.
>
>If it is not feasible, there seems little reason for the
>government to legislate against the practice. ;)
>
>Methinks you are grasping at straws. Why are you 'agin it'?

What legislation are you talking about?

I don't think they've ever legislated against car pools?

There have been companies set up to help people contact each other if
they want to run a car pool.  I don't know whether any of them are
still running.  It would be interesting to see how successful they
are.

But if you are charging people a "fare" you have to get a license and
(if you're smart) some decent insurance.

The cost of that insurance is what I think would make it unprofitable
as you would not be able to carry a great deal of people.

If you're doing it for petrol money that is volunteered by the
patrons, then it's a totally different matter.  But as soon as you say
"you must pay" there are a whole lot of other obligations and
complications.

Cheers...
1986 Lotus Excel S.E.