Re: Cars make more economic sense than transit: fact

trekkerjon@mailcity.com wrote:

> > The "studies" of the advantages of public transport invariably
> > leave out one key factor: the value of the time of the
> > passenger.
>
> Do you mean (Time Spent as Driver: fighting traffic, waiting
>    in lines)
>        versus (Time Spent as Passenger: sitting reading the
>         paper, or noticing the other human beings that inhabit
>         this planet.)?
> >
> > When someone comes up with a public transport systems that goes
> > where I want to go when I want to go, and fast, I will happily
> > sell the car.
>
>  Why the (Either/Or)?   I would rather have mass transit for
>     regular commuting- and save my car for optional things
>     like travelling to the beach or the mountains.

Depends on how often you go. For some people it would make more
sense to hire a car.

Hey, my original point was that the studies do not take into
account the time of the driver/passenger.

As various posters have pointed out, sometimes the time is
useful (when you have a seat on a train and can read in comfort)
and sometimes it is a dead waste.

Next study, have a look at this issue and see what comes up. The
answer will be, of course, that it depends on the quality of the
public transport, surprise, surprise.

Then have a look at the total cost of providing that quality
transport, and ways of funding it.

--
Regards,

Izzy