Re: RIP ASW?

In article <379C5CCB.6128CB6E@ancc.com.au> David Langley <del@ancc.com.au> writes:
>From: David Langley <del@ancc.com.au>
>Subject: Re: RIP ASW?
>Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 23:04:11 +1000

>Maurie Daly wrote:

>> >The Cressy line despite its shortcomings is effectively an independant
>> interstate line with no local pass trains to contend with , a single operator
>> all the way , much easier from a train access point of view.

>And the poor intrastate passenger has to suffer buses from Ballarat. I would bet
>that we have lost a great number to their cars. We could retain some more if
>sprinters were allowed to run to Ararat (new station - not crossing the precious
>sg line).

>David Langley.

There will always be winners and losers in rail restructuring projects .
Suburban passengers in Adelaide also lost because of the singling of the
Belair line as well.
Geelong passengers now get access to interstate trains for
the first time ever.
Ballarat to Ararat didnt have to be closed as a result of
the SG line going via Cressy, it just was presumably because Vline didnt want
to keep both lines open .
If rail is continue to exist at all in this country it has to be cost
effective and competitive with road .
The cressy route allows double the loads to be hauled to Ararat than does the
Ballarat route which in these days where Rail is struggling to compete against
road makes an enormous differance .
Admittedly the benefit is partially lost as most trains still have to
negotiate the Adelaide Hills but trains like FVs superfreighter to Horsham
will benefit .
Ideally the best result of all will be to go around the Adelaide Hills and
then we do end up with a very cost effective corridor,but we dont want to kill
this option by deliberately putting in a heap of 1:48 grades at the other end .

MD