Re: RIP ASW?

Grahame Ferguson wrote:

> A cheaper version using axle counters would have been ideal, for what is an
> interstate corridor, albeit not an express corridor.
> The Victorian Western SG line to Wolesley has the worst of all worlds:-
> 1. A tortuous route from Tottenham to Newport, causing increased transit
> times and excessive 'bottle necking';

Graham I think that the point should be made that the tortuous route is between
Melbourne and Ararat via Cressy. We ignored the obvious route (straighter and
faster than the present) for political reasons. That is difficult to run local
passenger trains to Horsham and Dimboola when you omit half of the traffic base
by going the "Great Way Round". Maybe the line should be referred to as the GWR.

> One thinks that it all must have been designed by the Road Transport
> Industry!  For if it wasn't they are probably thinking "We couldn't have
> designed it better ourselves".  It is like an 'own goal' that the State &
> Federal Governments have scored for Road Transport.

Oh so true, own goal many times over. I can just see the truckies pounding away
between Melbourne and Adelaide via Ballarat, Beaufort etc laughing all the way.

> As I remember it, it is costing $600million for the rerouting of Highway One
> over the Adelaide Hills.  What could the same amount have been done with, if
> given to improve the Adelaide to Melbourne rail line??

Political parties paid (I welcome proof that I am wrong) by road interests to do
just that, look after their interests.

David Langley.