Re: RIP ASW?

Maurie Daly wrote:

> The one thing that CTC has got going for it over TO is that even though it
> wont prevent a driver disobeying a red and heading into a single line section
> with the obvious potential risk , it does allow the Train Controller to know
> whats happening, ie he can see the impending disaster on his diagram and
> possibly but not always warn other trains .
> CTC with radio comms to the trains is almost but not quite as good as ATP.
> If we go further down the road of DOO (uggh) and try to at a later date
> implement some sort of ATP, you cant do this in a TO environment.
> If we do implement CTC then hopefully also we will learn from Hines Hill and
> outlaw running crosses.

Maurie,

what on earth do you hope to achieve in the way of safety by barring running crosses.
It merely transfers the point of impact from the side of the train to the front. In
fact it could be argued that with running crosses it might be potentially safer
because you might just miss the other bloke. If a train is going to run through a
crossing loop (on either line) out of control then it is going to hit anything in the
next section unless it can be pulled up in time but that is not going to save a train
waiting at the opposing arrival home signal.

David.