Re: RIP ASW?

>Yes for a relatively small outlay CTC is an option, some months back the
>figure was either 6 or 8 million, (can't remember the exact amount but as
>you said less than $10 million) rumour has it that the PTC has spent upwards
>of $40 Million on ASW whilst this figure maybe an exageration its still
>money (no matter how much) down the drain.

>I remember a former Supt of Safeworking saying to me when ASW was in its
>infancy, "Why would you want to spend $20 million dollars on ASW when for 20
>cents you can get a Train Order book to do the same thing".

>So you see not everyone in the PTC supported it!!!

>Bob.

Ive heard around $36 M for ASW.
This doesnt include the costs to the operators who have to run over the line
either, ie how much has NRC had to spend to equip its 20 or so locos with ASW
equipment, ditto for ASR.
As you correctly say , what a waste , ah well we learn by our mistakes ,(hope.)

For what its worth I can also remember back in the late 1970s also a
former Supt of Safeworking saying that there was no way ever that Vline would
ever get Train Orders as they were unsafe.
Staggering what cost cutting will do isnt it.

MD