Re: RIP ASW?

Maurie Daly <mauried@commslab.gov.au> wrote in message
mauried.290.3796E676@commslab.gov.au">news:mauried.290.3796E676@commslab.gov.au...

> >Yes for a relatively small outlay CTC is an option, some months back the
> >figure was either 6 or 8 million, (can't remember the exact amount but as
> >you said less than $10 million) rumour has it that the PTC has spent
upwards
> >of $40 Million on ASW whilst this figure maybe an exageration its still
> >money (no matter how much) down the drain.
>
> >I remember a former Supt of Safeworking saying to me when ASW was in its
> >infancy, "Why would you want to spend $20 million dollars on ASW when for
20
> >cents you can get a Train Order book to do the same thing".
>
> >So you see not everyone in the PTC supported it!!!
>
> >Bob.
>

> Ive heard around $36 M for ASW.
> This doesnt include the costs to the operators who have to run over the
line
> either, ie how much has NRC had to spend to equip its 20 or so locos with
ASW
> equipment, ditto for ASR.
> As you correctly say , what a waste , ah well we learn by our mistakes
,(hope.)

> For what its worth I can also remember back in the late 1970s also a
> former Supt of Safeworking saying that there was no way ever that Vline
would
> ever get Train Orders as they were unsafe.
> Staggering what cost cutting will do isnt it.
>
> MD

I think we are talking about the same person.

But as much as he was against T.O's I believe they put the screws on him
threating that he could be replaced if he didn't introduce them!!!

As it turned out he wrote the rules for V/Line T.O's and plugged the holes
in what were ex AN rules to make them safer.

Ie: Verification, Fullfillment, and the Red Seriel Number to prevent an
order being re-written after it was dictated. All of these items were
missing from the old AN Rules.

Bob.