Re: RIP ASW?

Maurie Daly wrote in message ...
>On a similar vein to this, have there been any incidents at all on CTC
lines
>in NSW or SA,since their introduction.?
>Most people I guess know about Broadford,Violet Town & Hines Hill.
>I exclude the Henty incident with the XPT as in this case the CTC system
did
>exactly as it was supposed to do and prevented a head on .
>
>MD
Victoria's CTC cannot prevent a head on, and that is a pity! The cost of
preventing a Head
on would have been negligible. Just make the cripple roads as extensions of
No. 2 road!
At extra cost you could place Derails on No1 road, which are speed proved to
derail a train that is not stopping, in much the way as trips work on
Melbourne and Sydney Suburban Systems.
Come in too hard and you derail!    I read somewhere in a British [?] mag
that a good electronic 'trip' has been built, which gives and sends
information from Train Control and the train via transponders between the
rails. A simple inexpensive computer is installed in each locomotive and has
a train number entered into it automatically as it enters a territory  .
Signals are no longer required, as the screen
shows track condition, and requires the driver to respond, or will apply the
brakes and send a message to the Controller. System is very cheap as Track
sections are replaced by axle counters and infra structure is not
necessary.It was reported to be safer than CTC,,,
Rod
Can anyone remember the story better?