Re: Federation Tramway (Canberra)

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 19:38:24 +1200, David McLoughlin
<davemcl@REMOVEiprolink.co.nz> wrote:

>David Bromage wrote:
>
>> Anyway, if Canberra wants to build a tourist attraction, why argue with
>> them?
>
>Name one tourist from any place in Australia or on this Earth who has
>ever come to Canberra for tourism purposes.  <g>  Just one.

  Australia's largest inbound coach company, Murray's Australia is
Canberra owned and based. On any one day you could stand on the
Federal highway and see a few of the beasts with inbound (read Asian)
tourists, so I guess you could count them!

>People visit Canberra to lobby politicians, not to see its boring
>scenery. I doubt anyone bar a few tram nuts like us would go to Canberra
>to ride a fraudulent "heritage tram."

  Actualy you forgot to mention the fact that people come to Canberra
to goto the X rated video shops, and by christ you get the petrol
heads comming here for the Nats each New Year. Come to think of it
people also come for the folk festival each easter and many other
events also.

  But seriously the idea was not to come to Canberra to ride a tram.
You could do that in Melbourne or Sydney (if that counts), but to come
to the National Museum of Australia and sample Australia's living
history. The tramway was an innotative way of linking the museum site
with the city and also other attractions like the War Memorial. Seemed
to have merrit's, infrastructure costs would not have been that great
as the roads were designed for trams, may have even encouraged more
thinking on the Gungahlin plan.
 Ashley Wright, Canberra, Australia  ajwright@nospam.ozemail.com.au
 www:  http://www.ozemail.com.au/~ajwright   Do not reply to my email. Delete word 'Spam'.