Re: Federation Tramway (Canberra)

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 15:43:27 +1100, David Bromage
<dbromage@omni.com.au> wrote:

>David McLoughlin wrote:
>> Why would Canberra, a city which never had trams, want a heritage
>> tramway? The idea is bollocks.
>
>Walter Burley Griffin designed many of the major Canberra streets to carry
>trams. Northborne Av and Ainslie Av to name but two.

  Don't forget that almost all major roads even those not in Griffin's
orignal design which were constructed under the old NCDC were built to
much the same standards. Ie in terms of traffic island width, and I
may be wrong but gradient as well. Look at Ginninderra Drive, Adelaide
Ave Belconnen Way etc etc. With the government of today which cannot
even plan roads to allow easier integration and expansion (new suburbs
here), I cannot imagine they would consider the remote possibility of
planing to run trams down them in the future!!
 Ashley Wright, Canberra, Australia  ajwright@nospam.ozemail.com.au
 www:  http://www.ozemail.com.au/~ajwright   Do not reply to my email. Delete word 'Spam'.