Re: Federation Tramway (Canberra)

David McLoughlin wrote:

> David Bromage wrote:
>
> > Anyway, if Canberra wants to build a tourist attraction, why argue with
> > them?
>
> Name one tourist from any place in Australia or on this Earth who has
> ever come to Canberra for tourism purposes.  <g>  Just one.

I hate to disappoint you but I go to Canberra every once in a while to
see exhibitions at the National Gallery. I also like to visit the War
Memorial and to drop in and see what the ARHS are up to as well.

> People visit Canberra to lobby politicians, not to see its boring
> scenery. I doubt anyone bar a few tram nuts like us would go to Canberra
> to ride a fraudulent "heritage tram."

As far as the scenery goes, you could do a lot worse. I reckon the idea
of a tramway is a good one. I would rather ride a tram around Canberra
than ride in a bus anyday. In any case what's so "fraudulent" about
setting up a tramway in Canberra? What does it matter what type of tram
is used? It could mean the chance of seeing more restored trams actually
running again and serving a useful purpose. Maybe if they changed the
name from "heritage" to "Canberra" or something else you would be happy?
A tram is a tram is a tram.

> At least the capital of New Zealand has trolleybuses and electric
> trains. And lots of other industries besides politics.

I don't generally go to visit "industries" when I'm on holidays anyway,
so who cares?

> David McLoughlin
> Auckland New Zealand

A Heritage Tramway for Canberra gets my vote!!

Paul.