Re: [AUS] Radio forum on public transport

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 08:11:31 +1000, "Matt Cremer"
<Matthew.Cremer@Aspect.com.au> wrote:

>Mark Gibson wrote in message <0Xok3.139$8b.43@firefly>...
>>I drive a sports car. I pay just over $300 a year in insurance, about $50
>>per year in registration fees (although that is going up to about $100
>>next year, I think), and maybe $20/week for gasoline.  I figure I spend
>>another $1200 per year on maintenance.  So next year I expect to spend
>>less than $2700 or so on getting around via my own car.
>>
>>That beats the hell out of wasting money on transit.  I come and go as
>>I please, when I please, and I go from door to door--I don't have to worry
>>about when and where the buses and trains are running.  If I wake up at
>>3am and want a bite to eat, I hop in my car and drive directly to a
>>restaurant that is open 24 hours a day.  Losers who depend on transit
>>just have to starve...
>
>Now, we could translate this, using a lot fewer words, to
>
>"Screw the rest of the world, I'm OK jack. Pollution is a myth put forward
> by left-wing pinko greenies; and while you're shooting them, get those
> poor people out of my sight, they're an eye-sore."

But, it is the attitude that our society has!

How many people will use public transport when it is inconvenient?

If there were high speed trains (or even better expresses) from my
home to the City then I would use them.  Currently, a train trip takes
1 hour express or stopping all (20 odd) stations.  Now, this is a
direct route from Upwey to the city and it takes me 40 minutes to
drive to work and park!  The train time doesn't count 5 minutes to get
to the station and park, purchase a ticket and wait for a train.  The
trains at the time I leave only come every 20 minutes.

That is not what I call a good service!

A good service would include a high speed train running express
between the 3 major stations (Ringwood, Box Hill and Richmond).  That
trip should take 30-40 minutes tops on the slow trains we use now.
With a high speed train (180kmh or more) it should take about 20
minutes.

If trains took the same time I'd consider using them.  If they took
less time almost every body would use them.

Unfortunately, our govenerment has privatised the trains and nobody is
going to spend the money upgrading our tracks to handle high speed
trains.

Cheers...
1986 Lotus Excel S.E.