Re: Welcome back to Melbourne Gareth!

David Langley wrote:

Incidently,
> I've had similar blind lowering experiences with suburban train drivers and it makes
> you wonder whether they were not where they were supposed to be at the time.

Indeed! When the NZ police introduced speed cameras a couple of years
back, the photos of speeding cars were mailed with the tickets to the
homes of the registered owners of the offending vehicles. The police
were quickly forced to stop sending the pictures with the tickets
because of the howls of outrage from all the philandering men caught
clearly on film with their mistresses far away from where their wives
thought they were at the time and date also printed on the photo. Of
course it was the wives who got to open the mail first and I think a lot
of divorces or angry marital rows accompanied the first few months of
speed cameras here.

Now they just send the ticket, and you have to ask for the photo as
proof of the offence. In fact IIRC you even have to pay for the photo
now if you ask for it.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand