Re: Welcome back to Melbourne Gareth!

David Langley wrote:

> The other driver - same day a little further south - a lady driver from South
> Melbourne and was busy telling me off for photographing her tram promptly lost
> her pole on the S curves and had to put it right amongst the heavy road
> traffic. Serves her right I thought as I took my photos just the same.

Melbourne's trams are the city's most distinctive feature. They are what
sets it apart from other places. They feature in all the tourism
publicity for the city, and few tourists would fail to have at least one
ride on them. It is thus utterly unsurprising that lots of people will
take photos of them. It is perfectly legal to photograph a tram (or
anything or anyone) on a public roadway and drivers have no right to
object.

That said, I spent a week 18 months ago photohraphing trams day and
night all over the system, and met no resistance from drivers at all.
Many waved. Six months before that, my wife took some photos for me on
the Bundoora extension. At the terminus, the driver and conductor (they
still had the latter then) seemed so pleased she was photographing their
tram that the conductor gave her his bag and took a photo of her with it
in front of the tram.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand