Re: Speedrail

Ashley Wright wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Jul 1999 17:13:55 +1100, David Bromage
> <dbromage@omni.com.au> wrote:
>
> >Which is why British Airways bought the Eurostar franchise! Eurostar trains
> >will soon be carrying BA "flight" numbers. Lufthansa is also investing
> >DM400 million in replacing short haul flights out of Frankfurt with high
> >speed ICE trains (note: not Transrapid maglevs!)
>
>   Sheesh I thought code sharing for airlines caused problems, like
> booking a Qantas flight only to turn up and find a British Airways
> plane and crew.

If the flight was numbered between QF300 and QF399, it's a codeshare. It's
all in the Qantas timetable book. :)

> Imagine booking a flight only to turn up and find a train instead!.

Lufthansa have done it before.

>   Intersting question those who like caculating schedules, which mode
> is quicker Paris/London from city centre to city centre, Eurostar or a
> BA Flight? Assume flights use bus from Paris Montparnasse to Orly
> Airport and using Heathrow express as the means of getting to London
> centre from LHR.

Waterloo International is quite close to the City (the business area
of London).

It depends where in London you are and where in Paris you want to go. You
can't assume specific airports, as there are BA flights from both
Heathrow and Gatwick to both de Gaulle and Orly. There are numerous other
airlines operating to Paris from London City Airport, Stanstead and Luton.

The overriding factor is the amount of useful time en route. When the CTRL
(300km/h line from Asford to London) is finished, Eurostar expects that
London - Brussels business traffic will be about equal to London - Paris
traffic now. Eurostar carries 75% of all non-business travellers between
London and Paris/Brussels.

Cheers
David