Re: Speedrail

On Sat, 10 Jul 1999 18:42:51 +1100, David Bromage
<dbromage@omni.com.au> wrote:

>Ashley Wright wrote:

[---]

>>   Intersting question those who like caculating schedules, which mode
>> is quicker Paris/London from city centre to city centre, Eurostar or a
>> BA Flight? Assume flights use bus from Paris Montparnasse to Orly
>> Airport and using Heathrow express as the means of getting to London
>> centre from LHR.
>
>Waterloo International is quite close to the City (the business area
>of London).
>
>It depends where in London you are and where in Paris you want to go. You
>can't assume specific airports, as there are BA flights from both
>Heathrow and Gatwick to both de Gaulle and Orly. There are numerous other
>airlines operating to Paris from London City Airport, Stanstead and Luton.

Effectively, this is the answer.  From city centre to city centre,
Eurostar is faster, *provided* you live in Paris (or London), rather
than the suburbs.

I live in central Paris, a three minute walk from the nearest RER
station which provides a direct link to Roissy Charles de Gaulle
airport.  The best timings I ever made to London were just on four
hours, which included:

- RER to the airport
- Flight to London Gatwick
- Train to Victoria

Taking the Eurostar reduced this to three hours.  However, for many
people living in outer suburbs, it is more convenient to drive to
Roissy or Orly airports and take the plane.