Re: 6039 [was 6029 thread]

Well it certainly has the look of an official web site...

This whole "pay or rack off" idea could be said about vitually any
information-based web site.
For example, the Sydney Morning Herald is arguably the biggest news site in
Australia but you don't have to buy the paper to get access to the web.

For the DSR&M, they need to get information out to the community that they
are in fact up and running, looking to restore steam and now have the line
to do it.
The web is a very effective and low-cost method of getting that info out to
people who are interested.

The DSR&M and all rail preservation societies MUST publicise themselves in
order to attract members, to attract tourists.
To say, "don't tell people anything or they won't join" is nothing short of
stupid.
Tell me another way museums are going to get low-cost publicity? 'Cos God
knows they can't afford to do much else...

"
>...... Members should stop putting news about our Museum's day to day
progress
>on the Internet; some enthusiasts will not join up as Members, if they can
learn
>what's going on without paying Membership fees."
>
>The full text of the paragragh leading up to the above comment was as
follows

>"One of the Board's priorities now, is to use the Settlement as a positive,
>toward recovering the levels of Membership enjoyed prior to the dispute. If
you
>share your Newsletter with someone, then it's about time "that someone"
joined
>up as a Member. I know of numerous Members who pass their Newsletters on to
>others. Application Forms are available and will be posted out on request.
All
>Members should try to join up at least one new Member; I'm sure many of you
know
>someone who dropped out because of the dispute, or hasn't joined the Museum
>because of the hostilities, or who has been getting information about the
Museum
>from somewhere else. Well NOW is the time for them to join up!! It never
ceases
>to amaze me how many so called railway enthusiasts do not support our
Museum,