6039's horror day [was 6029 thread]

Sorry all, I assumed it had gone to Dorrigo based on info from the DSR&M web
site
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~dsrm/Newlist1.gif

If you look at the loco list, it includes 6042. I assumed they had already
moved it.

6042 wasn't in great condition when it arrived at Forbes.
Climbing up Wombiana on its delivery trip with 5367 on 30 June 1979, it blew
what I think was a piston ring. It also had tapping on one or two of its
external steam pipes as I recall too.
Would have been a brilliant crisp early morning (5:30am) recording if it
hadn't been for silly Farmer Brown thinking we were there to russle some of
his cows... After harrassing "us" as the train was approaching, he got
bogged on his own land.

6039 might be in good condition but it did a trip to Mt. Thorley in around
22 July 1978 that nearly ruined it.
They had all sorts of problems getting up to Mt. Thorley through various
reasons and once they arrived at Mt. Thorley, the colliery manager
apparently told the tour train managers to get that bucket of junk out of
his colliery.
So without watering they were forced to turn around and leave.
By the return train reached Singleton, the water situation was critical.
I have a nice recording of it climbing the grade, stopping, people on the
train screaming out "we want to go home" and then starting off the 1 in 60
grade. It will appear on a future Firebox Recordings CD.
Not long after that, they were forced to drop the fire as they'd run out of
water.
I last saw the train being dragged back through Thornton en route to
Newcastle.
Ahhh, the memories of childhood...
Darren.