Re: Sydney Light Rail Fails New Years Eve Challenge

In article <3697af25.915866@news.bigpond.com>,
  billboltonREMOVE-TO-EMAIL@computer.org (Bill Bolton) wrote:
> rffergus@socs.uts.edu.au wrote:
>
> > The offer was made by SLRC to construct both the CBD and Inner West extensions
> > as a package without government assistance.
>
> We've been through this before and you haven't ever addressed the
> issue of the government costs in providing the right of way in the
> condition that the SLR wanted it in.... and simple expenditure numbers
> numbers in an EIS, whose purpose is not related in any way to who
> would ultimately have to come up with the various components that made
> up the total funding, are irrelevant.

Yes, we have been through this before, and I have addressed the issue of the
government costs in providing the right of way in the condition that SLRC
wanted it in. The right of way was to be provided as is, which is already in
a reasonable condition, and SLRC would be responsible for the works necessary
to make it operational i.e. bridge repairs, upgrading of Glebe tunnel,
constructing a retaining wall on the south side of Wentworth Park viaduct,
replacing ballast, replacing sleepers, regrinding rails, installing OHLE and
signalling and building the stations. The costs were to be absorbed by SLRC
as a sweetener for allowing them to build the lucrative CBD extension.

Yes, originally it was the intention of SLRC to approach either State or
Federal Governments for funding, but this was dropped even before the opening
of the current system. And no, the EIS numbers, although a very basic outline
are not irrelevant. They do show that the consortium had budgeted much more
for the Lilyfield extension (excluding additonal LRVs to cope with the
increased demand) than the $4 million they are providing now.

> Cheers,
>
> Bill

Rob

Sydney (Australia)