Re: Sydney Light Rail Fails New Years Eve Challenge

In article <36977892.11655602@news.bigpond.com>,
  billboltonREMOVE-TO-EMAIL@computer.org (Bill Bolton) wrote:
> "Ben Staples" <98711576@student.hawkesbury.uws.edu.au> wrote:
>
> > Furthermore, my hopes for a decent light rail re-introduction to Sydney seem
> > dashed when the State government signalled it opposition to the Quay
> > extension in the short term.
>
> The future for light rail in Sydney is not going to be advanced by
> duplicating transit facilities along an already well serviced
> corridor.

The future for light rail in Sydney is not going to be advanced by building
systems that are unable to deliver a very large number of the potential
passengers to their required destinations. One of the reasons the extension
to Circular Quay was knocked back was that - according to 'Transport'
Minister Carl Scully - it would bring the viability of the STA's CBD bus
operations into question. I fail to see how a well patronised and well
designed CBD extension would do anything but advance the future for light
rail in Sydney. It could also have saved the taxpayer the $16 million subsidy
required to construct the extension to the Inner West on its own.

> Cheers,
>
> Bill

Rob

Sydney (Australia)